This focused issue on “Hip Resurfacing for the Young Arthritic Hip” is edited by Dr. Paul Beaule and Dr. George Grammatopoulos, from Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Dr. Paul E. Beaulé specializes in joint preserving surgery of the hip as well as arthroplasty of the hip. Currently, he is Professor of Surgery and Head of the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Ottawa. He is a member of the Hip Society, the International Hip Society, European Hip Society and the Academic Network for Conservative Hip Outcome Research (ANCHOR). Dr. Beaulé has published over 230-refereed papers with an h-index of 57, 300 abstracts and has given more than 200 lectures and workshops in several areas in orthopaedic research. He is currently President of the Canadian Orthopaedic Research Society.
Dr. George Grammatopoulos specializes in joint preserving surgery of the hip as well as arthroplasty. Currently, he is Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Ottawa. He is a member of the British Hip Society and the European Hip Society. He is a recipient of the McKee and Furlong Prizes, the Hip Society Award twice and the Kappa Delta Elizabeth Winston Award. Dr Grammatopoulos has published over 50-refereed papers with an h-index of 18.
- Focused issue outline:
- Arthroplasty options for the young arthritic hip
- Hip resurfacing arthroplasty – what has history taught us?
- My current indications for hip resurfacing
- Is female gender an absolute or relative contraindication?
- Contemporary surgical approaches for hip resurfacing
- Surgical considerations to avoid adverse mechanics
- Local & systemic consequences of metal-on-metal hip resurfacing implants
- What can the radiographic assessment of a resurfaced hip show?
- Evaluation of the painful hip resurfacing & revision options for the failed hip resurfacing
- Does type of femoral fixation matter?
- What is the ideal hip resurfacing? – My 20-year experience with 9 different designs
- With a hip resurfacing, one will live longer
- The future is pink (Ceramic-On-Ceramic Hip Resurfacing)
- How best to regulate new implants in the marker. Is RSA enough?
- Learning curve of a hip resurfacing. How best to introduce into practice?